Cottage Food Operations
Environmental Health Cottage Food Program
Cottage Food Bill Signed By Governor Brown- Becomes Effective January 1, 2013.
Assembly Bill 1616- Cottage Food Operations (CFO) was signed into law by Governor Brown on September 21, 2012, and becomes effective January 1, 2013. This law allows certain non-potentially hazardous foods to be made in a private home and sold directly to consumers or restaurants and markets.
Do you qualify as a Cottage Food Operation? Follow the CCDEH Flowchart (PDF) to find out.
The following is an overview of requirements. For the complete text of the law, please view: California State Assembly Bill Number 1616.
|Type||CLASS A||CLASS B|
|Cottage Food||Sold directly from CFO to Consumer|
|Approved Foods||Baked goods such as cakes (without cream), cookies, bread, scones, candies, nuts, granola, etc. (See "California Department of Public Health Approved Cottage Food list" for complete list.) (PDF)||Baked goods such as cakes (without cream), cookies, bread, scones, candies, nuts, granola, etc. (See "California Department of Public Health Approved Cottage Food list" for complete list.) (PDF)|
|Gross Sales Limit||$50,000 or less in gross sales in 2015 and beyond||$50,000 or less in gross sales in 2015 and beyond|
|Application Process & Fee||New Application, Product Category, Address Change $56.00 (PDF)||New Application $112.00 (PDF)|
|FIRST TIME APPLICATIONS ONLY|
|Annual Renewal Process & Fees|
|Inspections||Consumer Complaint Inspections||Consumer Complaint Inspections|
Annual Routine Inspections
An initial/routine inspection of a Class B CFO must be performed in order to obtain a permit to operate.
|Temporary Food Events (TFF)||A permitted CFO will have to fill out a TFF application along with a permit fee of $84.00.||A permitted CFO will have to fill out a TFF application along with a permit fee of $84.00|
- CLASS A: Application (PDF) and required Self –Certification Checklist
- CLASS B: Application (PDF) (Self Certification Checklist attached for reference)
Please contact the following to determine your Business License requirements:
- For selling in the County – Please contact the County Treasurer / Tax Collector Office at 547 Market Street, Suite 111, Colusa, CA 95932 - 530-458-0440.
- For selling in the City of Colusa – Please contact the City of Colusa at 425 Webster Street, Colusa, CA 95932 - (530) 458-4941 Ext. 100.
- For selling in the City of Williams – Please contact the City of Williams at 810 E Street, Williams, CA 95987 - (530) 473-5380.