Family Literacy Services
The Colusa County Free Library Literacy Program gives away free books for children ages birth through 17 a minimum of six times per year. This is done not only to encourage a love of reading in the youth of the county, but also to promote literacy for the county as a whole while building up home libraries. In fact, around the world, one thing that has been shown to be a consistently powerful predictor of academic achievement is a home library.
Here are the top five reasons that we host youth book giveaways:
- 79.3% of children who own books believe "the more I read, the better I become"
- 20% of children who don’t own books read below their grade level
- 34% of children who own books read "every day"
- 15.4% of children who don’t own books "never read"
- Children who don’t own books are 12.6% more likely to never visit a library
Upcoming Book Giveaways
Day of the Book, Day of the Child
April 30, 2020 • 6:00-8:00pm
Community Information Night
Williams Migrant Camp
May 1, 2020 • 4:00-7:30pm
CCOE Family Fair
Egling Middle School, Colusa
Postponed--more information TBA
Princeton Portuguese Festa
June 2020 • Time TBA
Book Giveaways This School Year
Arbuckle Farmer’s Market
August 28 • 4:00-7:00pm
Arbuckle Pumpkin Festival
October 6, 2019 • 10:00am-3:00pm
Christmas Tyme in Colusa
December 6, 2019 • 4:00-8:00pm
Lunar New Year Celebration
January 25, 2020 • 10:00am-12:00pm
Leap Day Party
February 29, 2020 • 10:00am-12:00pm
Raising A Reader
Raising A Reader is an early literacy program that promotes parent-child bonding through reading. In collaboration with First 5 Colusa, the Colusa County Literacy Program offers two free 10-week sessions per year, at the branch locations of Colusa, Arbuckle, Maxwell, Princeton, and Williams. Each spring and fall, parents and their children, ages birth through five, establish a reading routine that has been proven to foster healthy brain development, healthy relationships, a love of reading, and the literacy skills critical for school success. Weekly story time and interactive activities at the library along with a weekly Book Bag make reading fun for the whole family. Participants will also receive free books to help build up their home libraries!
Spring 2020 Schedule
- Colusa Library, February 13 to April 16, Thursdays, 10:00 to 10:45am
- Maxwell Library, February 13 to April 16, Thursdays, Noon to 12:45pm
- Arbuckle Library, February 14 to April 17, Fridays, 10:00 to 10:45am
- Williams Library, February 14 to April 17, Fridays, Noon to 12:45pm
- Princeton Library, February 18 to April 21, Tuesdays, 8:30 to 9:30am
- Colusa Library Spanish Session, February 19 to April 22, Wednesdays, 11:30am to 12:15pm
Contact literacy coordinator Alissa Maas for more information, stop by your local branch, or visit our events calendar!
Preschool Summer Reading Program
Each summer, the Colusa County Free Library Literacy Program hosts a 6-week summer reading program of various themes for children ages birth-5. This year’s topic of STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Mathematics) will be experienced through stories, songs, and activities. Additionally, each week children will have the chance to pick out a new book appropriate to their age that they can take home to keep. Not only does this help to foster a love of reading in children, but also builds up home libraries! Each participating site will be capped at 15 children, and registration is required. Enrollment begins May 20; contact the Literacy Coordinator at 458-0373 for questions or more information about registration. Put on in partnership with Premier Mushrooms, Inc.
Summer 2020 Schedule
- Colusa Library, June 8-July 20 (skipping June 29), Mondays, 11:00-11:45am
- Princeton Library, June 9-July 21 (skipping June 30), Tuesdays, 9:00-9:45am
- Maxwell Library, June 9-July 21 (skipping June 30), Fridays, 11:00-11:45am
- Arbuckle Library, June 12-July 24 (skipping July 3), Fridays, 10:00-10:45am
- Williams Library, June 12-July 24 (skipping July 3), Fridays, 12:00-12:45pm
Summer Book to Movie Club
Each summer, the Colusa County Free Library Literacy Program hosts a free Book to Movie Club for local middle-school-aged children, grades 5-9! Over the course of 6 weeks, 10 participants will read three books and watch the movie adaptations to compare and contrast versions. Teens will also get their own copies of each title to add to their home libraries! Registration begins May 20, and the first meeting is June 17. For information about how to register, call our Literacy Coordinator at 458-0373. This program put on in partnership with CAPC Colusa County.
Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White
Mary Poppins Comes Back by P.L. Travers
James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
A Wrinkle in Time (Graphic Novel) by Madeline L’Engle
Wonder by RJ Palacio
Matilda by Roald Dahl
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
Charlie & the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, & the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Nursery Rhyme Time
This winter program is a weekly story time for children ages birth to 5 and their caregiver, that blends traditional nursery rhymes with their modern counterparts, through stories, songs, and finger plays. Occurs at the Colusa Branch on Thursdays at 10:00am, from November 14 to January 16. No registration is required; call 458-0373 for more information.