Communications Reserve Unit
The Communications Reserve Unit is comprised of FCC licensed Amateur (Ham) Radio operators who are non-sworn registered "Communications" Disaster Service Workers (DSWs) through the Colusa County Sheriff, Office of Emergency Services. The group is authorized to operate under Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Service (RACES) regulations during times of disaster or emergency. The Communications Reserve Unit may be called upon to use various communications modalities such as; radio, computers, computer networks, microwave, satellite, telephone, cell phone, video-conferencing, or other forms.
The Communications Reserve Unit has specialized expertise on the following:
- Effective use of communications resources to accomplish emergency communication
- Provides Auxiliary Communications Services (ACS)
- Support Colusa County government agencies and mutual aid agencies in the event of disaster or emergency
- Use standard ICS (Incident Command System) protocols
The Communications Reserve Unit conducts communication drills and training in furtherance of disaster/emergency preparation. Unit training includes conducting a weekly radio net and monthly unit meeting at the Sheriff's Office. Unit members may obtain additional communications training from ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Services) or other EmComm training organizations.
At the time of appointment, a Communication Reserve Unit member must:
- Be a citizen of the United States of America
- Be a minimum of 18 years old
- Have good moral character, a police record clear of felony convictions, and good credit standing
- Possess a California ID card
- Possess a valid FCC Amateur Radio License